Sunday, November 16, 2008

winterim + poetry: who can resist?

ice flows on the lake
walking in a world of white
clarity of mind



This winterim session--January 5-23--I'm teaching English 255: Introduction to Poetry. Won't you join me?

The class meets from 9:00 am to noon Monday through Friday, and in three short weeks you will earn 3 humanities credits and incredible knowledge of poetry! 

We'll be reading out of 250 Poems: A Portable Anthology, a lovely book at the bargain price of $25. 

The course is mainly focused on reading poetry and learning the traditions and forms and major movements, but we'll also be writing some poetry as one way to respond to what we read and to have a more intimate knowledge of the genre. 

I'm very excited because we're going to create an online haiku wiki where we'll post photos of our lovely landscape, and our own poetic snapshots of a Wisconsin Winter scene. 

We'll also host a poetry reading at one of the local coffee shops for our final class session. 

I pledge to bring in my coffee maker and hot water kettle to keep us warm and caffeinated on the chilly winter mornings (and occasionally, I may bring some of my famous baked goods...). Bring your own coffee mug, your curiosity and brilliant ideas:)

No comments: