Tuesday, May 20, 2008

merci, danke, gratzi

This year has been an exciting one. Though I've been teaching for many years, this was my first year on the tenure track. The difference is that tenure-track positions mean the school is invested in keeping me around, that is, if I do my job well. I have to prove that I'm keeping active in my field, constantly improving my teaching, and becoming involved in the life of the campus. It's sort of a probationary process. 

I wanted to take a few moments to thank all of my colleagues, and especially my students, for making this year one to remember. It's been challenging and delightful, and I've learned so many lessons myself that I feel rather like a student!

I especially want to thank my students for sharing their ideas, dreams, and fears with me in their essays and classroom discussions. From lighthearted conversations about fashion and The Devil Wears Prada, to discussions of the American Dream, to debates about the nature of love, to the impact of popular music, to an understanding of our multicultural society, we've all shared so much. 

I can't wait to continue the journey and learn even more next year! I'm looking forward to going global, with my Studies in International Literature class this summer; to helping first-year students transition to college in my LEC 100 class in the fall; to exploring eco-literature in English 102 and American Lit in the fall; and, finally, to further discussing multiculturalism in Multiculti Lit in the Spring.

Additionally, I can't wait to start celebrating our Common Theme, Blue Devils Go Green next year, and kicking off the new UW-Manty Multiculti's! 

Please keep in touch over the summer, and, check back here for suggested summer reads!


No comments: