Friday, February 29, 2008

grading

This week marks the first week of grading final drafts. I find it helpful to divvy up the number of drafts I'll grade a day--usually anywhere from 8-12--and arrange the mini stacks along the window-filled wall of my living room. Then I can see each pile diminish and not feel overwhelmed by one giant stack. This process also helps me further subdivide the daily dose into smaller bits of grading--2 before lunch, 2 before the gym, and so on.

With a mug of tea or coffee by my side, and my trusty green pens handy, I am ready to write away. Final draft comments serve two purposes--establishing a clear grade, and showing students areas at which they excel and areas to which they need to devote more time.

The first essays--narratives all around--challenge students to break free from formulaic ideas of essay structure and think mindfully about word choice and that ever popular goal: being specific. Our next step is to return to a formal essay structure, but to be specific and descriptive even while being formal, analytic, and persuasive.

No comments: